Saturday, February 7, 2009

Chili Eating Competitions

Okay, so not exactly.
Apparently my pronounciation of "Cheerleading" is off a bit. No, we did not go to a "Chili-eating" competition today. It was CHEER leading competition. Very different. Very, well...
hormonal.

Have you ever been to one?
I guess I can say that I've been to over 50. Not that I'm all into cheerleading, mind you. It's just that my dad started a video business about 20 years ago and since it's a family-run business and I'm family, well... you understand.

This one happened to take place at Musselman High School. A small competition in comparison to others I've witnessed, but not without the usual drama.
Spirits run very high. Coaches are stressed. Girls working on their hair to make sure it doesn't fall out during their routine. (Yes, I really mean that. They wear hair pieces. I've watched many a hair piece fly through the air during a routine!! Hilarious!)

And parents are watching their money disappear.
You figure $5 to get in, $25 for a shirt, $20 for the DVD, $10 for the little teddy bear, $3 for flowers, $10 for food...

But the absolute most fun part of the whole thing?
Watching the squad immediately after their performance.
We have it worked out that the girls come over to our table immediately following their routine to watch themselves on our tv. It's the epitome of instant gratification.
Girls scream. Girls cry. Girls hug. Girls throw up.
I love it.

Today's competition was tight. I usually can tell you who won just by their reaction when they come to the table. Today, I got 2 out of 3.
Musselman came in second. (Go Applemen!)
Wildwood took the top slot.
We'll be heading to Jefferson in 2 weeks for the "Mustang Classic"...
Can't wait!

Note:
No girls were witnessed with their head in a trash can at today's competition.
Oh well.
There's always next time.

2 comments:

  1. You are hilarious! It sounds perfectly awful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on the blog. Next stop...Facebook! :) I love the pix of your family. I think one of the preteens in our Sunday School class was a your competition. She was thankful for her team placing fourth. I guess their hairpieces weren't good enough for first. :)- Randy

    ReplyDelete